Here is another burrito recipe of mine. I absolutely love burritos and tacos. Even when I think I’ve had too much, I see a picture of burritos of tacos and I instantly crave them. Here is what I made to satisfy these cravings. Chicken burritos with Salsa and Guacamole. No fusion idea this time, like the Bulgogi Burritos I made. But these are great too! Skip to the end for ingredients and step by step directions. I start off by making the salsa and the guacamole. These can sit for a bit and let the ingredients settle in with each other while you make the chicken and rice filling for the burritos. I used 3 Tomatoes chopped into small cubes for the salsa.
Finely chop half a medium red onion and add it to the tomatoes. then add 1/2 tsp of cumin, 1/2 cup cilantro (you can use a little less if you don’t like cilantro) chop the cilantro into little bits (I measured around 1/2 cup before chopping). Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge until needed.
And now for the guacamole. I used 3 avocados of this size. Cut them in half, take the pit out, and with a spoon, scoop out the avocado into a bowl (I like to use a large bowl so I have room the mix and mash the avocados).
Mix in the other half of the red onion you used for the salsa (finely chopped). Chop around 1/4 cup of cilantro, 3-4 cloves of garlic and add them into the the avocados. Add a dash of cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze half the juice of a lemon or lime into the mixture. With a masher or fork, mash the avocados and mix the ingredients together until smooth (a little chunky is okay too). Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the guacamole mixture after I mashed it.
Chop 3 small onions (or 2 medium sized ones) into slivers.
Cut 2 chicken breasts into strips
Chop some mushrooms into slices
After you chopped those ingredients, set them aside and prepare the Mexican rice. I am using chinese jasmine rice, if you are using a different rice the liquid to rice ratio might be a little different. I put 1 1/2 tsp of cumin powder, and 2 tbsp of tomato sauce. 1 cup of rice to around 1 cup of homemade chicken stock (you can use store bought but you don’t want it to be overly salty).
While the rice is cooking. Sauté the onions in a pan first. then add mushrooms and lastly the chicken breast. Add 3-4 cloves of finely chopped garlic, 2 tsp of cumin, 2 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro, 1/2 tsp of cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste.
By this time, the rice should be about done. lift the lid and add 2 more tbsp of tomato sauce. Flake rice with a fork and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Now assemble the burrito. I started with the rice, followed by the chicken, onions and mushrooms mixture, then the salsa (the one you have resting in the fridge) and then topped it with some monterey jack and cheddar cheese (I know, not the most authentic Mexican cheese). My sister put the guac in the burrito too but I didn’t, thats why you don’t see any in this picture. I quickly regretted not doing so, so feel free to put guac in the burrito.
I like to have extra guac and salsa on the side. Enjoy! (gingerbread house makes an appearance in the background!)
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 cilantro chopped
3-4 cloves of finely chopped garlic
3 small white onions
2 chicken breasts
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup of Chinese jasmine rice
1 cup of home-made chicken stock (you can use store bought)
4 tbsp of tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp of cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 medium red onion finely chopped
1/2 cup of cilantro
juice of half a lime or lemon
1/4 cup of finely chopped cilantro
2-4 cloves of chopped garlic
dash of cayenne
1. Wash and dice tomatoes
2. Finely Chop half a red onion and 1/2 cup of cilantro
3. In a bowl, mix tomatoes, onions, cilantro. Add cumin and salt and pepper
4. Cover and let sit in fridge
1. Chop 2-4 cloves of garlic, finely chop half a red onion, and 1/4 cup of cilantro
2. Cut avocados in half, remove the pit and scoop out into a bowl
3. mix avocado, onions, cilantro, and garlic into a bowl. Add cayenne, and juice of half a lemon or lime
4. Mash with a masher until smooth and season with salt and pepper
1. chop onions, chicken and mushrooms
2. Measure and wash 1 cup of rice
3. pour chicken stock, cumin, and 2 tbsp of tomato sauce. Cook rice on low heat, covered with lid for around 20 minutes
4. While rice is cooking, cook onions, garlic and mushrooms until onions become translucent
5. Add chicken to the pan and season with salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, chilli powder, cayenne, and cilantro
6. When rice is done, add remaining 2 tbsp of tomato sauce and season with salt and pepper
7. When chicken is done, assemble burritos on a flour tortilla. Add chicken mixture, rice, guacamole, salsa and top with cheese. Roll up burrito and serve with extra guac and salsa if desired.